Are you a new start up looking to attract investors? Are you brainstorming and thinking of possible ways to stand out? As we know, there are so many start-ups in the market today. How do you make your business stand apart from the rest? This can be done with the help of a unique and captivating pitch-deck. Start-ups usually create “pitch decks” to present your idea to the potential investors. This is critical for the success of your start-up. Hence, it is extremely important that a start-up focuses on its ‘pitch deck’ intended for its investors and charms, compels and convinces them.
A ‘pitch deck’ usually consists of a PowerPoint, Key Note or Prezi presentation with about 15 to 20 slides with a brief overview of your business plan. The aim of the pitch deck is to present the products, technology, and team of the company to potential investors. Though this sounds exhausting and daunting, it is quite simple. In this article, we shall help you, by giving you the key tips that you need to follow to create a compelling, clear, and interesting pitch deck for your investors. Every start up is unique and you might feel that all these points wouldn’t apply to you. Fret not, these are just guidelines and you can feel free to tweak them according to your convenience. Without further ado, here are some do’s and don’ts.
Pitch Deck Do’s
- Do incorporate the following words at the bottom of the cover page of your pitch deck, on the left side: “Confidential and Proprietary. Copyright (c) by [Name of Company]. All Rights Reserved.”
- Do persuade the investor about the market opportunity that your start-up has
- Do incorporate graphics and pictures that will interest the investor
- Do mail the pitch deck to potential investors before the meeting, in the form of a PDF. Remember not to force the investor to get the pitch deck Google Docs, Dropbox, or any other service available online. This just presents a barrier and could prevent the investor from reading your pitch deck.
- Do remember to carry a demo of your product and incorporate it into your presentation.
- Do convey to the investor that it is not just a mere idea, but show them that you have received an early traction for the development of the product, receiving customers, or getting partners.
- Do possess a soundbite that investors can remember you by.
- Do make use of a legible font size, colour, and a good title style in all your slides.
Pitch Deck Don’ts
- Don’t present pitches with more than 15 slides as this could bore the investor. In the case of extra information, add it in the appendix.
- Don’t have many slides with a lot of text.
- Don’t give considerable details concerning finance, this can be provided later.
- Don’t try to include it all in your pitch deck. In person, you can provide more information that included in the pitch deck.
- Don’t use language or words that the investor won’t understand and make it easy and comprehendible.
- Don’t put down your competition.
- Don’t present a presentation in which the layout is poor or has bad graphics or looks dull. You might need to employ a graphic designer to make your pitch deck stand out.
The magical 12 slides
There are 12 major slides that need to be incorporated into a pitch deck. They are as follows:
Talk about who you are and what you intend to do. Keep it simple and short.
Present the team that came up with the idea and describe their roles in brief.
What is the problem that you are looking to solve? Is it actually a problem? Do you have a good solution?
How does your solution stand out from the rest? How is it better?
Explain in brief how you intend to solve the issue/problem.
How does the product or service you offer actually work? Provide certain examples.
Traction refers to possessing a quantifiable number of clients that aims to prove the potential of the start-up.
Have knowledge about the market and size of the market that you are targeting.
What are the other solutions that are available for your problem?
- Business model
How do you intend to make money? Present a schedule of your expected revenues and returns.
What is the budget that you have planned? How much money are you looking for?
Do remember to give them your contact details and inform people about how they can get in contact with you quickly.
For best results utilize the best expertise
The Pitch deck needs to be perfect for you to capture your investors. If you use a designer to create your investor pitch deck, the chances of funding increase by 80% than if you were to create a power point pitch deck.
Design Pitch Deck is an exclusive designing and digital marketing agency that understands the needs and requirements of the customer and helps them by providing effective solutions. In the case of any digital and marketing problem, Design Pitch Deck has the solution for you. Design Pitch Deck is the proud design partner of Roshni Rides, a revolutionary company that won the Hult Prize in 2017. Design Pitch Deck is also the design partner of ‘Magic Bus Ticketing’, known today as Buupass. They won the Hult prize in 2016. That isn’t all, Design Pitch Deck is the design partner of Corseco Technologies as well. Corseco Technologies is an Artificial Intelligence Solutions Company that has secured a funding of INR 10 Million. Design Pitch Deck has helped many dreams come true and it could do that for you too.